Crawl Space Encapsulation Benefits:
- Stop mold from growing
- Stop structural damage from occurring
- Save money by reducing energy bills
- Less strain on your heating and A/C unit
- Keep hardwood floors from cupping or buckling
- Lower the chances for termite or pest infestation
- Increase indoor air quality
- Increase the value of your biggest asset!
Wanting to completely seal off your crawl space after seeing all that you can benefit from? We’ve got you covered. We offer crawl space encapsulation to our customers that want to completely encapsulate the area below their home or business. By doing this, you not only keep the moisture out, but you also keep out bugs such as cockroaches, spiders, and termites. This is one option homeowners and business owners have to avoid forking out money to costly structural repairs that have been caused by moisture.
How it Works:
- We complete a comprehensive home examination to find out why and where the issues, if any, are coming from.
- We then remove any standing water issues and install a perimeter drainage system to a sump pump. This solves any water intrusion problems that may be occurring.
- The start of the encapsulation begins with mechanically fastening 2.5” foam board insulation to the foundation walls and using this same foam board to permanently seal your foundation vents from the inside. Sealing these vents is critical to the overall functionality of this system. This stops the hot, moist outside air from coming in and creating condensation on all of the cool surfaces inside the crawl space. Also, this particular foam board is not just your average foam board from Lowes. It is specifically made for crawl spaces by having a built-in, 6 mil moisture barrier and is chemically treated to resist termites.
- When finished with all of the insulation board, we will go back over the top of it with a 6 mil (for a total of 12 mil) moisture barrier and wrap the walls, completely sealing them.
- We then wrap your piers with a reinforced 12 mil polyethylene moisture barrier. Starting from the ground we will wrap the piers all the way to the top. We will mechanically fasten the liner to the pier, as well as tape the top and the seam to ensure that it is fully sealed.
- Next, we will install a 12 mil reinforced moisture barrier covering the entire crawl space floor. This moisture barrier will overlap (8”-12”) and be sealed to the moisture barrier that is on the walls and piers using a 4” waterproof tape.
Now, we progress to treating the remaining moisture that is in the crawl space from any mechanical appliances.
We will install an industry leading, Aprilaire or Santa-Fe commercial dehumidifier. This unit will initially run for a few weeks until it can remove all the moisture from the subfloor, floor joist, etc. that is present in the crawl space. After the first few weeks, this unit will not have to run near as much because of the fully sealed crawl space; only cutting on every so often as it deems necessary. These Aprilaire and Santa Fe dehumidifiers are energy star rated and have a built-in humidistat (turning itself on and off automatically). The condensation drain line will remove the water from your crawl space without the homeowner having to empty any buckets. These units also have a filter that will help filter the air to help with mold spores and dust. This will increase the indoor air quality inside the home.
The final step is to monitor the crawl space. By monitoring, we do not mean coming back once a year to assess your home. It only takes days for mold to grow so, for this reason, we will install a 24/7/365 WIFI monitoring system that will constantly monitor the humidity, temperature, dew point, and any standing water that may occur in the crawl space. This system will automatically send us alerts should any of the moisture levels get above the ideal range. This monitoring system can tell us many things about the crawl space, including plumbing leaks, equipment failure, water intrusion, and more.